Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cancer vs Burn Victim 20 July 2007

Cancer Patient versus Burn Victim
20 July 2007

I have had some things running through my mind the last couple of days that I would like to share. I am thinking of my friend, JoJo, as I make this analogy.

In 2004, I had to med evacuated as a medical assistant with my daughter from overseas. She had collapsed a few weeks earlier from a brain hemorrhage, spent a week in a coma and was being transported from Portugal to Germany then on to Walter Reed Medical Center. Well gentle readers this is where you should stop reading if you are squeamish.

We loaded with soldiers being med-evacuated from the war front in Afghanistan and Iraq in a medical transport aircraft. I helped load the patients and walking wounded. I was basically the only person in civilian clothes but not really (still active duty.) I helped the Army National Guard technicians and medical staff load baggage, secured suspended cots, and lock down patients in three elongated rows, double patient rows vertical suspended in the middle (like a double row of bunk beds.)

Now mind you the first half hour or so of the flight was nondescript because all are quiet waiting for the aircraft to level out on its flight path. I looked at the young men and women that I was going to be traveling with for the next day. Some were wearing medical gowns and did not look to have faired too poorly. Simple things like broken limbs and regular medical concerns.

Then, there were some walking wounded that were in bad shaped but good spirits. On more than one occasion females who needed help using facilities were helped to their feet. One or two medical attendants would use “wool blankets” to form a privacy barrier while another attendant helped to support the patient. Inside the belly of that aircraft temperatures quickly dropped as the noise level rose. Mind you; I was wore foam peanut protection as well as headphones but the drone of the engines could still be heard as well as felt throughout ones body and bones.

I would take turns checking on my daughter who blissfully slept during most of the flight. While she was awake; we could talk to the young soldiers around us. We told each other of “war wounds” and families to pass the time. Also, I had them do this so that we could all bond in such a short time. Second, the patients would have to get used to sharing their stories on a daily basis anyway. Another reason is my daughter being a teen aged girl felt uncomfortable talking due to paralysis of her face. We had a lot of laughs and tears explaining things back and forth across the aisles.--Then after awhile medications where passed out and many went to sleep. That is when my life was changed. (WARNING---don’t not read any further if squeamish.)

One row over and three cots down began the critical patients loaded last in the rear of the plane. You see, a patient knows how his medical condition is as where his/her seating in assigned inside of a medical evacuation aircraft. Those seated nearest the pilot box are the most stable. Patients loaded first are not that poorly off and are ambulatory (under their own mobility.) This also means their injuries or illnesses while serious enough to warrant evacuation are not immediately life threatening. Now as one is seated nearer to the middle to the tail of the aircraft is where lives start changing.

So, since I was running on mother’s adrenaline---I could not sleep. My daughter had a long road ahead of her and still had drainage tubes running from her head. I kept a silent watch while helping the medical staff of 6 or 7 with their chores. This is what soldiers are taught to help, to aid or assist. All was well with trash duties, toiletry duties, helping people eat and use the facilities as I made my way toward the back of the air craft. I noticed the badges and insignia changed. No longer was I in the land of med tech but nurses and shoulder boards.

I asked the nurses if they needed help that I was trained in Basic Life Saving Skills & CPR. (I knew that I would not get sick at the sight of blood or other things.) She said that I could help her and her tech on their rounds. The next man I saw; in an instant I knew his life would never be the same again. First, the smell of his wounds hit me for he had been burned beyond recognition. He was on life support and I could see (& hear in my mind) his breathing; air bubbles escaping from his mouth.

I looked at this man and helped the attendant check the straps to ensure his safety in case of turbulence. I could only see his face, head, neck—his bandages where kept moist throughout the flight and he was covered for warmth. By the wonderful grace of medical science he was in a drug induced coma. His hands or feet would occasionally shift in his sleep. (Or maybe I imaged the movements)

I just did not know what to think or feel for this man. I also thought if he would be better off dead because his skin was black, cracked and peeling. And at this point I feel weird because; I wonder why he is kept alive and for whom. For the next twelve or so hours; my mind would drift to his future. I would look at the other patients that would in similar conditions with loss of limbs, eyes and burns. These men and women had in fact seen Hell and made sacrifices with their bodies for freedom.

Now you are probably wondering how I can equate this to Jo Jo and her fight with stage IV breast cancer. This is how I drew my analogy. While looking at that young man’s body and how it was burned by fire and chemicals---the images took root in my brain. I have been thinking about his fate for three days and secretly wondering why him? Then last night it dawned on me and the explanation is simple. Jo Jo has the same caustic affect by cancer’s conflagration on inside yet her wounds are not openly visible. You see, the tumors in her body are consuming her in the same way that young man was consumed.

This leads me to further questions. Why is it in all of our wonderful advancement in science? Why not cancer? I guess it is a matter of priorities. Think about it—we make ensure BOB can attain and sustain an erection; removal of fetal cord bloods cell to cure diseases (theoretically.); or clone animals, go into outer space and other awe inspiring advances. Yet, with all these advances; no one is making the knowledge known to cure cancer or other diseases. WHY? I needed to get this rant out. If I have offended I apologize.

I love you, JoJo!
Love, Hugs and Kisses,
Nekkid Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment